Thursday, January 3, 2013

Buffalo Chicken and Potato Casserole


        I tried a recipe my wife had pinned on Pinterest. I may personally not be that big on Pinterest but, as I'm sure many wives are, my wife is addicted. So in addition to all the diy flower appliques on baby shoes, she pins a lot of interesting recipes.

The chicken  and buffalo sauce ready for the potato mixture
This makes it easy for me when I want to try something new but haven't found anything just yet. I just look through her food board. This particular recipe looked like it would be a good one to try, for a couple of reasons.  It looked like it would use a few potatoes and my wife has been worried about using the ones we have before they start growing more potatoes. Also, and most importantly, as I read the description I thought it sounded really good. It turned out that it was.
potato mixture on top


















This recipe can be found on the Holy Cannoli Recipes blog.

http://holycannolirecipes.blogspot.com/2011/05/buffalo-chicken-potato-casserole.html

        As she already covered it in detail, I'll just give you the cliff notes. Basically, you mix just over a pound worth of cut up boneless, skinless chicken with some buffalo sauce and layer in in the bottom of a non-stick sprayed 13" x 9" pan. Next mix about 5 cups of shredded potato with about a cup of ranch dressing, a can of condensed cream of chicken soup and some shredded cheese. That gets layered on top of the chicken followed by some bread crumbs. Put foil across the top and bake for about 30 minutes at 350f. Remove foil and bake for another 25 minutes. At this point I found that the potatoes weren't done yet, so I baked it for about another 20 minutes.
finished dish

        According to the writer of Holy Cannoli, this recipe is meant to be done with cream of celery instead of cream of chicken, blue cheese instead of ranch and frozen hash browns instead of shredded potatoes. So it seems that this recipe can be tweaked fairly easily to accommodate personal taste. As my wife doesn't like celery or blue cheese, I don't think I'll get to experiment much with this one.
        So the finished dish is a nice buffalo flavored chicken with crispy topped creamy ranch potatoes on top. Now if you like buffalo chicken dipped in ranch, you will enjoy how all of this comes together. My wife and I both really liked how everything played together. I will be looking more into what Holy Cannoli has to offer. If the other recipes are this good, I'm in for a treat. At any rate, this one was great and I will be making it again in the future. Thanks to Holy Cannoli Recipes for letting me share this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment